Exchange Visitors Program vs J1 Visa vs Summer Work Travel: The Basics

Nov 4, 2019 | Summer Work


Much has been said about cultural exchanges. Terms such as “exchange program”, “J1 Visa” and “Summer Work” have been mentioned. It is true that these terms have been used in the same sentence in the past, however, they cannot be used interchangeably. So: what is the Exchange Visitors Program, Summer Work, and J1 Visa?

According to him United States Department of State, the J1 Visa is a type of visa which is used for individuals who approve participating in a study or work-travel Exchange Visitors Program. He Summer Work Travel Program is another of the categories of the Exchange Visitors Program and is for students who are registered full-time pursuing undergraduate and graduate studies at academic institutions that are located outside the United States, and go to that country to share their cultures and ideas. with people in the United States through work and travel opportunities.

The Exchange Visitors Program is the general name for all programs permitted by the United States Department of States. To see a more complete list of all Exchange Visitors Program programs click click here.

ACE Summer Work and Travel is the name we give to our cultural exchange program. However, we are hosted in the “Summer Work Travel Program” category. We are not a J1-Visa Program, since that term does not exist. The J1 Visa is the type of visa that individuals who do any of the Exchange Visitors Program will need.


Do you want to participate in one of our programs?

Travel, practice your English, get to know other cultures.